Remaking the Economy: Webinar #5 in the Series!
REMAKING THE ECONOMY: LEVERAGING NONPROFIT ANCHORS
Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 2:00 pm EST
REMAKING THE ECONOMY: LEVERATING ANCHOR INSTITUTIONS begins with a brief interview of William (“Bill”) Generett, vice president of community engagement for Duquesne University. Generett, before coming to Duquesne in 2017, spent decades promoting community wealth building in his home town of Pittsburgh.
Following the interview, NPQ Senior Editor Steve Dubb will facilitate a panel with three expert speakers: Melvyn Colón, who is executive director of the Southside Institutions Neighborhood Alliance in Hartford, Connecticut; Jessica Curtis, who leads the national Hospital Accountability Project for Community Catalyst, a Boston-based nonprofit; and Felipe Witchger, executive director of the Community Purchasing Alliance, a group based in Washington, DC that began as a community organizing campaign and helps churches and other local institutions shift their spending to support locally owned businesses in communities of color.
This webinar will explore:
- What is an anchor institution anyway?
- What are the challenges in getting nonprofit anchors to change their business practices?
- How can nonprofit hospitals and universities use their wealth to support local business in low-income communities and communities of color?
- What are points of leverage available to movement leaders?
- What is the ecosystem that helps sustain positive shifts in anchor practices?
- What shifts in thinking, practice, and culture need to occur?