Beyond the Board Statement: How Can Boards Join the Movement for Racial Justice?
Part One: Monday, June 22, 2020 from 2:00PM - 3:30PM ET
Part Two: Monday, June 29, 2020 from 2:00PM - 3:30PM ET
With each day come more statements from organizations articulating their stances and, in some cases, their specific commitments to be part of change in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd. Some nonprofit and philanthropic boards are actively discussing whether to make a statement at all and if so, what it should contain. What is the nonprofit board of directors' responsibility and opportunity for leadership around racial justice? Beyond the board statement, what can boards do to ensure that the organizations they govern are living their values?
Join nationally recognized governance, strategy, and equity consultants Vernetta Walker and Robin Stacia for an in-depth set of conversations about how boards of directors can and should join the movement for racial justice.
These sessions will be highly interactive with the majority of time spent in moderated discussion. Topics will include:
- What is the value of board statements to the community?
- How should boards of directors be responding right now? What questions should they be engaging?
- How can boards show up authentically if they are early in their understanding of and/or commitment to racial justice?
- What kinds of risks and backlash to joining the movement are boards worried about? Why?
- What if the staff have a more developed racial justice stance than the board?
- What is the role of the CEO in facilitating the board's racial justice work?
This is a deep and essential set of conversations happening over two sessions. Join us for one or both of them. They are free of charge. We will record them and share them with our communities.
Please Note: The recordings of both webinars will be available on the NPQ website 2-3 business days after each live event